• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

A Sports Medicine Physician's Opinion on AAS

GSRacer

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I was traveling for work recently, and I saw a random Orthopedist to have my knee looked at. Anyways, the doctor handed me an article he had authored on my way out. What do you think of his assessment? :coffee:

***, M.D.
***, ATC,RPA-C

In the Olympic film epic “ Chariots of Fire” Eric Liddell asks, “Where does the power come from to see the race to its end?” His definitive answer – “from within”. More than eighty years later some may argue that this answer is no longer true for many athletes. Indeed the power may come from without in the form of drugs created to maximize performance.

As a society, we have been bombarded by ads in fitness magazines regarding products that claim to increase speed and endurance, improve strength, increase muscle mass or reduce body fat. Our youth are curious about performance enhancing agents and demand answers. We can no longer merely state that these agents are harmful without giving them a reasonable explanation as to why they are potentially dangerous. In fact, some surveys suggest that 2.5 percent of eight graders (13-14 year olds) have used steroids. And, even more alarming is that 7 percent began using steroids at age 10 or younger. Our best hope is to communicate openly and honestly about steroids and other ergogenic aids and hope that they will then make correct choices.

Nutritional ergogenic aids are dietary supplements that supposedly enhance performance above levels anticipated under normal conditions. In 1994, Congress passed the Dietary Supplement and Health and Education act after the health food industry and its allies urged congress to preserve the consumer’s freedom to choose dietary supplements. This law greatly weakened the ability of the U.S. food and drug administration (FDA) to protect consumers. Under the DSHEA, dietary supplements and ergogenic aids do not have to be proven safe or effective to be sold. There is also no guarantee that the products are what they say they are on the labels.

The purpose of this article is to discuss some commonly used ergogenic aids and their possible effectiveness.

Creatine
Use of creatine became popular after a 1992 study suggested that high doses of creatine resulted in a 20 percent increase in skeletal muscle mass. Creatine has gained popularity among athletes participating in power sports like football.

How does creatine work?
Creatine is a derivative of amino acids and is found in skeletal and cardiac muscle, brain, retinal, testicular, and other tissues. Oral creatinine is considered ergogenic because it has a potential to enhance ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) production during exercise. ATP, in simple terms, represents the energy reserve of muscle tissue. Research on the actual effects of creatine supplementation has yielded mixed results. Some studies have shown that oral creatine supplementation can improve sprint and power performance during repeated short duration bouts of high intensity exercise. Other studies have noted weight gain during the first 6 weeks of use. Lean body mass increase has averaged about 2 to 5 kgs. The majority of available data on creatine and endurance exercise suggest that it does not improve performance.

The cost of creatine is approximately $30 - $50 per month. The usual routine involves a loading dose ranging from 15 – 30 grams a day for the first week. A maintenance dose of 2 – 5 grams a day follows for approximately three months. After three months, creatine supplementation is discontinued for one month to allow creatine levels to return to baseline. Then the cycle is resumed. Taking increased creatinine beyond this regimen has not been proven to be effective, as it will exceed skeletal muscle’s maximum creatinine storage capacity. The kidneys will usually excrete the unstored excess. This requires that the athlete increase his/her water intake. Failure to over hydrate can lead to renal failure.

Side effects: There has not been any reported major side effects for short term (eight weeks) supplementation of creatine. However, creatine can cause weight gain due to increased accumulation of cellular water in muscle. Long-term side effects include muscle cramping, dehydration, gastrointestinal distress, nausea, and seizures. There is speculation that long-term creatinine use may affect kidney function.

Androstenedione
Androstenedione is a direct precursor of testosterone, a potent androgen, and is sold as a non-prescription nutritional supplement. It is supposed to build muscle mass and promote recovery from injury. This claim cannot be substantiated by objective data. A recent study showed that there was no increase in muscle mass in men given daily doses of 300 mg of androstenedione compared with placebo.

Adverse effects: The same study that showed no increase in muscle mass also found decreased levels of high density lipoproteins (HDL) and elevated levels of estrogens. Low levels of HDL have been implicated in cardiovascular disease risk. An increase in estrogen concentration may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, breast cancer, and pancreatic cancer. The NCAA, NFL, USOC and IOC have banned Androstenedione.

Anabolic Steroids
These are synthetic derivatives of testosterone. Their original purpose was for the treatment of impotence and to reverse the wasting effects of burns and chronic debilitating illness. Taken in sufficient doses, anabolic steroids can increase muscle size and strength. Use of anabolic steroids has become increasingly popular among strength athletes including weight lifters, football players and body builders. Once the athlete discontinues use of the anabolic steroids the increased size and strength disappear.

Adverse effects: The list is long, including hepatocarcinoma, stroke, tendon rupture, osteonecrosis of the hip, psychosis and suicidal behavior. Anabolic steroids can also cause masculinizing effects in women, such as male-pattern baldness and deepening of the voice that can be irreversible.

Growth Hormone
Growth Hormone has become popular among some athletes because it increases muscle mass but is more difficult to detect than anabolic steroids. Strength and performance have been noted to improve with use of growth hormone although there have been no objective studies to document these results.

Adverse effects: The adverse effects of exogenous administration of growth hormone include gigantism in children and acromegaly in adults. Acromegaly can lead to heart disease, impotence, myopathy, osteoporosis, and death.

Health care providers have been forced to become more knowledgeable about ergogenic aids. Additionally, athletes are encouraged to read as much as possible about these agents and their potential dangers so that they can make an informed and healthy decision.

The size and strength disappear eh..?
So they say to put people off from using, I've also heard 'Once you stop using it will all turn into fat'
Same about creatine really 'its all water, when you stop using it will go away and you will be left with a flabby skin)

So they say to put people off from using, I've also heard 'Once you stop using it will all turn into fat'
Same about creatine really 'its all water, when you stop using it will go away and you will be left with a flabby skin)

Yeah because muscular connective tissue and adipose tissue can totally be converted into one another... I'm sorry but I absolutely hate when people say anything about fat turning into muscle or vice versa. That is a statement of pure ignorance.

It's depressing to see how little a sports medicine doc knows about ergogenic aids. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but apparently, they don't teach this when you're getting your qualifications.

Yeah that's why I posted this. This Dr. was sharp so I thought it was interesting that this is a paper he wrote.
In his defense, stuff like this was most likely put into old lectures and the like. Peer reviewed papers point completely the other way on some of these things nowadays!
Did you bother correcting him? It would be in his best interest, being a sports doc, but many are very defensive about being questioned on things like this.

I don't consider myself all that knowledgeable, and definitely not as up to date with the literature as I should be., But I saw at least 3 glaring mistakes in the paper before I even made it out to my car. And, no I didn't correct him. Even if I was right, it would have fallen on deaf ears and achieved nothing except maybe 10 seconds of smug gratification for GSRacer.

IML Gear Cream!
I don't consider myself all that knowledgeable, and definitely not as up to date with the literature as I should be., But I saw at least 3 glaring mistakes in the paper before I even made it out to my car. And, no I didn't correct him. Even if I was right, it would have fallen on deaf ears and achieved nothing except maybe 10 seconds of smug gratification for GSRacer.
That's the best kind of gratification though! You think a stack of peer-reviewed papers would have convinced him?

Back