• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Can You Get *BIG* Using Light Weight?

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!

So can you get big with only using light weights in the gym? That's what I will be going over in this video. At the end of that day it's about breaking down the muscle so can you do that with light weight? Well yes but how many reps will you have to do? Can you handle the pain of doing that many reps? Take a leg extension, that kind of pain most people can't handle. I go over my thoughts and the science behind this. Let me know your thoughts or if you have ever done this yourself.

https://youtu.be/7Aqd3LxybX4

I think some bodytypes can, yes for absolutely sure.

For me as an EctoMorph, there is no chance I can. I have tried it, doesn't work.

I'm all fast twitch fibers, and I have to train heavy and explosive with momentum. Which is cool bc I prefer to lift that way anyways!

Most definitely you can. Heavy weights are relative to each individual tho... personally I do not workout with “heavy” weight I prefer the volume and frequency style VS heavy weight style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t watch the video. My rep range is 12-20, my sets vary with that rep range. Frequency is 2 x a week per muscle, one day is a focus and the other is a pump day.

Last edited:
i used to get in there and scream and yell and beat on my chest and do the old 8,6,4,2 and strain my sack off. too old for all that shit now. i just simply put whatever weight im comfortable doing 8 reps, 8 sets. nice and smooth, w/ good form and that works for me now. somewhere along my journey someone put that # in my head (8) and it stuck. ive simply figured out that 2 reps isnt enough and 15 is too many. whats in the middle of the 2. EIGHT just me

Yeah Im not sure I would enjoy working out with 40% of my on rep max... But I also dont enjoy working with any thing less than 6 reps. To be honest I like my time in the gym Im not just there to achieve a goal Im there for fun.

I go heavy with 6-8max reps per movement for 3 wks..then 1 wk 12+ reps per exercise..then 1 wk powerlifting 2-4 reps per. 5 wk split / repeat... Keeps things interesting for me. Nobody taught me this and it might not be the "best" way to train..it's just the way I like to do it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I go heavy with 6-8max reps per movement for 3 wks..then 1 wk 12+ reps per exercise..then 1 wk powerlifting 2-4 reps per. 5 wk split / repeat... Keeps things interesting for me. Nobody taught me this and it might not be the "best" way to train..it's just the way I like to do it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
Damn
I like this thought in general a lot.
Durations could be changed too, but still the general idea is great.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Damn
I like this thought in general a lot.
Durations could be changed too, but still the general idea is great.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
I agree. I do this as well. I do the Big 3 movements 2 times a week. One will be heavy weight one will be high volume. Like I'll bench 8x3 90% come back at the end of the week 4x8 around 70%. Then the following week 4x6 at the end 3x10.
So I'll switch this up a few times. Then switch to which is my 1st movement and which is my 2nd.
One week itll be flat bench first one week itll be incline. Keeps it interesting. Then test 1rm every 4 months or so.

Also make sure to never do back to back heavy ass sets..so of I bench 8x3 the next day I'm not going to deadlift 4x4. It has helped me for a while.

Then I recently just stopped, and started doing everything sets of 15. Kicked my ass

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
By training different fibers you confuse the muscle...10x10...on bench,nothing is better.. don't believe it?...try it

Currently I’m doing 4 days a week. Chest/bis,back,shoulders/tris,legs
5-6 exercises per body part 1set 4-6,1set 8-12. Failure each set.
arms 2 exercises. Just simple progressive overload trying to get as strong as I can on each exercise. When I stall for 2 weeks I’ll change the movement. Nothing fancy but I like it so far.
I can’t grow with lighter weight higher volume. I lose strength and tissue goes with it.
im a huge fan of Meadows and have tried 2 of his routines and they both made regress.

I’m bigger now using light weight than I was going heavy in my 20’s and 30’s

So can you get big with only using light weights in the gym? That's what I will be going over in this video. At the end of that day it's about breaking down the muscle so can you do that with light weight? Well yes but how many reps will you have to do? Can you handle the pain of doing that many reps? Take a leg extension, that kind of pain most people can't handle. I go over my thoughts and the science behind this. Let me know your thoughts or if you have ever done this yourself.

https://youtu.be/7Aqd3LxybX4
If you're John Meadows, I love you.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Currently I’m doing 4 days a week. Chest/bis,back,shoulders/tris,legs
5-6 exercises per body part 1set 4-6,1set 8-12. Failure each set.
arms 2 exercises. Just simple progressive overload trying to get as strong as I can on each exercise. When I stall for 2 weeks I’ll change the movement. Nothing fancy but I like it so far.
I can’t grow with lighter weight higher volume. I lose strength and tissue goes with it.
im a huge fan of Meadows and have tried 2 of his routines and they both made regress.
Regress? You mean progress?

Regress? You mean progress?

Nope. When I ran those Meadows routines I ended losing strength and size. I just couldn’t recover no matter what I tried.
interestingly enough though, I decided to give another program of his a shot and added intraworkout eaas with gummy bears and on a deficit I’m actually recovering quite well and maintaining strength on some movements and getting stronger on others. I’m in week 6 of Onslaught. But I absolutely meant regress as that was my experience from his 2 programs I had ran up until now

can you get *big* using light weight?

so can you get big with only using light weights in the gym? That's what i will be going over in this video. At the end of that day it's about breaking down the muscle so can you do that with light weight? Well yes but how many reps will you have to do? Can you handle the pain of doing that many reps? Take a leg extension, that kind of pain most people can't handle. I go over my thoughts and the science behind this. Let me know your thoughts or if you have ever done this yourself.

https://youtu.be/7aqd3lxybx4

dropsets ftw

Yeah Im not sure I would enjoy working out with 40% of my on rep max... But I also dont enjoy working with any thing less than 6 reps. To be honest I like my time in the gym Im not just there to achieve a goal Im there for fun.

I'm totally agree, I mean The goal is and always will be to get bigger, stronger, faster, and to push myself but I also NEED the gym it is therapy. When I have to take time off be it injury or life situations from the gym it just completely fucks with my head. I maybe a bit nuts but it gives me balance.

Back