• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Shitty calories vs No calories?

Burrfoot1313

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've heard it said both ways but am curious...are shitty calories (pizza etc) better than no calories? If all you have to eat is junk, like me tonight at work, is eating pizza better than not eating at all?

And while we're one the subject...100% juice is good for you but has a lot of sugar. I know sugar is bad but is that kind of sugar ok? I mean, it's not like eat a bag of Skittles or something is it? Is there a big difference between sugar found in fruit and sugar in shit like candy?

Last edited:
I've heard it said both ways but am curious...are shitty calories (pizza etc) better than no calories? If all you have to eat is junk, like me tonight at work, is eating pizza better than not eating at all?

And while we're one the subject...100% juice is good for you but has a lot of sugar. I know sugar is bad but is that kind of sugar ok? I mean, it's not like eat a bag of Skittles or something is it? Is there a big difference between sugar found in fruit and sugar in shit like candy?

Not really. Fruit is a mixture of fructose, glucose and sucrose, while candy sugar is either sucrose which converts in the body to 50% fructose and 50% glucose, or high fructose corn syrup which is typically 55% fructose, 45% glucose (although there are other formulations) and therefore essentially the same. Fruit juice has vitamins and is healthier than candy but sugar-wise it can be just as bad. Whole fruit loads you up with fiber, making it even healthier than the processed juice, and also serves as an appetite limiting mechanism since it's much harder to eat several apples instead of drinking a glass of apple juice having the same amount of sugar.

There's evidence that fructose in abundance harms the liver, causing fatty liver disease and negative lipid profiles, encourages fat deposition in the body generally and insulin insensitivity. This lecture "The Bitter Truth" makes a compelling case that fructose causes chronic liver damage in nearly the same biochemical manner as alcoholism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

That said, I can't make my daily calorie requirements without a bunch of junk.

I would rather have lower shitty calories than no calories at all. Your body needs something to fuel it. If you are working out hard then your muscles are constantly burning calories craving more. Its better to eat a little junk that to just starve. Certain compounds let you retain muscle better on less calories, it all depends on if it is a day or 2 of not eating or just skipping a meal.

WTF do you do for a living that you can't eat? Lol... You really need to pack your meals.

WTF do you do for a living that you can't eat? Lol... You really need to pack your meals.

Hotel management. It fuckin sucks man. Most days I get a chance to sit down for 10 or 15 minutes and power eat but somedays I don't even get that. A lot of times if I do get a few minutes, there isn't shit made except pizza or some other equally worthless crap. You're right though, I need to just start carrying one of those coolers with food in it. I keep a tub of protein powder at work but that's not enough.

Hotel management. It fuckin sucks man. Most days I get a chance to sit down for 10 or 15 minutes and power eat but somedays I don't even get that. A lot of times if I do get a few minutes, there isn't shit made except pizza or some other equally worthless crap. You're right though, I need to just start carrying one of those coolers with food in it. I keep a tub of protein powder at work but that's not enough.

It takes maybe 2-3 hours for me to prep my foods on Sun and Wed. Each is in its own tupperware until that morning when I leave for work. Place that shit right in the cooler and it sits in the lunch room. Since they are small meals I can stuff it down in 10-15 mins or have a shake.

Bingo. Preparation is key. I cook all of my meals about 5 days in advance, and I eat 6 times a day (right now at least). It leaves no room for excuses. And if I ever get in a bind, I always have a quest bar on reserve, because some nutrition is better than none.

http://www.questproteinbar.com

Bingo. Preparation is key. I cook all of my meals about 5 days in advance, and I eat 6 times a day (right now at least). It leaves no room for excuses. And if I ever get in a bind, I always have a quest bar on reserve, because some nutrition is better than none.

http://www.questproteinbar.com

Gluten free too! I might have to give these a try.

Good stuff. Thanks guys. It's funny what we have to go through. Hunched over a bowl at work eating like a wild godamn animal. Being healthy is hard. Worth it though.

IML Gear Cream!
It's better to have shitty calories then nothing. But you do what you can. I know how it is to be busy, but I guarantee if you packed your meals in tuperware you could find time to eat them :). Good luck bro, cook a few times a week put them in Tupperware with labels. Keep sugar intake to a minimum. Fruit contains vitamins and other nutrients but so do vegetables and multivitamins sugar intake should be kept to a bare minimum.

Gluten free too! I might have to give these a try.

Hell yeah brother jump on em! If you haven't had em already, you can get em at GNC even. I buy them by the box. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is a newer one, and its unreal. They only net 4-8 grams of carbs on average due to the fibrous nature of the ingredients, and most of the protein and fat comes from nuts. You really can beat em. Don't rely on them though!

*8oz Chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 6oz sweet potato > Quest Bar

Good stuff. Thanks guys. It's funny what we have to go through. Hunched over a bowl at work eating like a wild godamn animal. Being healthy is hard. Worth it though.

In fact it is. It's easier to buy am $0.89 hamburger than it is to prep a good salad with mac nut oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and tuna, in a good tupperware that doesn't leak. This is where your strength of character comes in. This is what will ultimately determine your success or failure in your goals. You may not want to compete, and that's fine. But you you still need to be consistent and prepared!

It's better to have shitty calories then nothing. But you do what you can. I know how it is to be busy, but I guarantee if you packed your meals in tuperware you could find time to eat them :). Good luck bro, cook a few times a week put them in Tupperware with labels. Keep sugar intake to a minimum. Fruit contains vitamins and other nutrients but so do vegetables and multivitamins sugar intake should be kept to a bare minimum.

This is solid advice^:winkfinger: Don't ever binge on fruits. Bananas are the worst. The only fruits I eat are in the morning and post workout.

Sugar is the gawd dayum devil! lol ;)

Last edited:
Calories in vs calories out. Although this is true I would definitely hit your daily protein requirements. That being said I would rather eat a little less of shitty calories reaching my nutrition for the day instead of none. you can also hit all of your calories at the end of the day(look up the leangains IF protocol). Intermittent fasting is not optimal though. Packing convenient meals such as shakes, tuna sandwiches, almonds, etc could also be a way to go.

I think calories are better than no calories. The bigger issue for me anyway is after eating clean for so long I get sick as hell after eating garbage. I was in a bing a few weeks ago and stopped for a burger just to eat the patty and threw up ten min latter. What do you do? Prep is the only good answer

Pizza is shitty calories? That's news to me lol. I'd rather have something than nothing. Nothing turns into catabolism and your body will use muscle fiber to fuel it's energy needs. I suppose it depends on whether you're on a cut or bulk. On a bulk there are no shitty calories. Eat everything in sight. Cutting you eat like a bird and it sucks but a cheat meal here and there won't hurt ya. Pack your meals!

Just going to throw this out there and not say names. I know for a fact that a pretty famous BB (young and killing shows, sponsored by some good companies, and very well known in the industry) that eats fast food, sweets, and like an animal. The only time he gets super serious is prep. IMO if you aren't going to step on stage, just monitor macros. Don't get super caught up in it. It's not hard so don't make it hard. Prep on the other hand is hard, so when I finally decide to go through a prep I'm hiring someone lol.

The OP has absolutely no excuse at all for not being able to eat right.
I work on call 24/7 and outside. I package all my meals up in Tupperware 1 day of the week ahead of time and bring a 6pack lunch bag with me to work. I wont go to sleep until I hit my macro's for the day.
I more often than not, have no access to a microwave so I usually have to eat my chicken/tuna/rice/etc. cold.

If you cant be on a diet, then personally my opinion is you have no place using gear.

and lastly, you should be on atleast some type of macro diet. I somewhat believe in flexiable dieting (IIFYM) atleast for more of an offseason diet, but ofcourse not for any serious contest style diet. So if a pizza fits within your macro's then go for it.

The OP has absolutely no excuse at all for not being able to eat right.
I work on call 24/7 and outside. I package all my meals up in Tupperware 1 day of the week ahead of time and bring a 6pack lunch bag with me to work. I wont go to sleep until I hit my macro's for the day.
I more often than not, have no access to a microwave so I usually have to eat my chicken/tuna/rice/etc. cold.

If you cant be on a diet, then personally my opinion is you have no place using gear.

and lastly, you should be on atleast some type of macro diet. I somewhat believe in flexiable dieting (IIFYM) atleast for more of an offseason diet, but ofcourse not for any serious contest style diet. So if a pizza fits within your macro's then go for it.

Yea I for the most part do flexible dieting. Monitor protein, fats, carbs (also monitor fiber) and all seems to work well. Of course a lot of my meals come from chicken, steak, turkey, rice, Black Forest ham, and so on. A "bro" type iifym diet lol

Yea I for the most part do flexible dieting. Monitor protein, fats, carbs (also monitor fiber) and all seems to work well. Of course a lot of my meals come from chicken, steak, turkey, rice, Black Forest ham, and so on. A "bro" type iifym diet lol

every now and then I throw in some poptarts, lucky charms, pancakes, waffles to my diet but it always stays within my macro's. it makes life much more enjoyable. Im just trying to put on more size now anyways. If I was going to do a contest I would be concerned with not just the macro's but also the micronutrients.

better to eat junk and hav calories than nothing but i always prepare my food ahead of time and i can usually stuff my face real quick if i must

Packing meals and all that is great, but I understand about the work situation. I always carry me a jug of protein and a shaker in the truck. And a box of protien bars or granola bars. Its just for those running late to work kinda days. I have to put something in my stomach or Ill be shaking. I case of muscle milk behind the desk would be good too.

Back