• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How low do you go?

chocolatemalt

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
When doing squats how low do you guys take it? A few inches down, an inch above parallel, parallel, or ass to grass?

I've seen some conflicting advice on this. Seems like many insist on ass to grass in the forums, while others will say there's a risk of injury that way. Most dudes in the gym go with option #1 of course, almost no range of motion...

If I go ass to grass, my ass won't get back up :roflmao: My one knee gives out if I go too low so I stay at parallel.

Mostly parallel. Fuck that no range of motion. Why do that? Just to put weights on your shoulders? I've hear of some ppl going ass to grass then parallel and then above parallel in one set.

Ill do about 5 sets ass too the grass with up to 225 and keep reps higher. Then up weight and start doing half reps. Ive also read articles saying if you dont ever do ass to the grass and get that stretch in ur muscles you actually have a high chance of injury when you start loadin weight up and only doing partial reps. Idk i switch it up alot. But if it comes to injurys like bad knees or w.e then ya do w.es comfortable. Safety first right!!

I go as low as my flexibility will allow with good form. For the most part that's at least parallel or a bit lower. Now that's for a powerlifting squat now that I'm training for that. BB squats don't require or even allow for such a deep squat without putting your lumbar spine in a precariously kyphotic curve. BB squats are all about quad development so the movement isn't as deep. So the first question that needs to be addressed is what are your goals... Powerlifting? Then wider stance, spread the floor, parallel or deeper. BB? A narrower stance, don't go deep, probably a little above parallel.

I go parallel.

Parallel unless I'm doing 400 or more then I dot go quite parallel. I'm 6'2 so ass to grass isn't even an option.

Im also 6'2 thats y i only do ass to the grass with lighter weight. To get that good stretch in. But with heavier wright agreed not a good idea for me lol

As long as my hips are past parallel I'm happy. I'm barely 5'7 so ass to grass ain't bad lol

What the fuck is a squat? I'm confused..... I thought that was the curl rack? No?

Went ass to grass until I ruined my back, I go slightly above parallel get the same results and I can walk when I'm done.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I figure I'll go ass to grass for the warmups and then migrate to parallel as I get up to working set weights.

i do high bar squats. i focus on going ass-to-ankles, but as an accessory movement i will do 1/4 squats.

I feel the ideal is to go just below parallel. Maybe an inch or so. Botom out and it puts tremendous strain on the knees. Good squating is a lost art from what I've seen anymore. 90 % of guys go maybe halfway from what I see. A great example of a squat artist is Kai Green. Watch him it is a beautiful sight !

Ill do about 5 sets ass too the grass with up to 225 and keep reps higher. Then up weight and start doing half reps. Ive also read articles saying if you dont ever do ass to the grass and get that stretch in ur muscles you actually have a high chance of injury when you start loadin weight up and only doing partial reps. Idk i switch it up alot. But if it comes to injurys like bad knees or w.e then ya do w.es comfortable. Safety first right!!

I go just short of 90 degrees. Any lower and I get some intense pain in my knees about three days later.

Im also 6'2 thats y i only do ass to the grass with lighter weight. To get that good stretch in. But with heavier wright agreed not a good idea for me lol

At 6'3", I agree with you 100%. 36" inseam means long legs, leverage no where close to those guys in the 5' 10" range......

Squat technique is like salt, one year it is good for you and the next year it is bad, i.e., ass to grass, great, ass to grass, not so good.

For me ass to grass would crank up some serious joint pain. I go just short of parallel. Yep, probably a wus.

When I'm in full on bodybuilding mode ATG... but I'm usually in bear mode so just below parallel for max weight on the bar lol

Get Shredded!
I go down until I feel my glutes fully activated - slightly below parallel, feels like I'm sitting in a chair.

i bounce my ass off the floor, but then i cat get back up.
lol

BUT REALLY i make sure to go just below 90* and then back up until the weight gets up towards max and i hit right at 90* (BAD KNEE)**and a puss**

I don't know what I go down to honestly, but it's low enough for me ha ha!

1/4 Squats build champions!!!! Not.

Parallel, sometimes ass to grass with lighter weight. Probably my biggest pet peeve is when someone loads up the bar and does that partial BS. I mean, hopefully your woman doesn't do partial squats on you.

Ass to grass, perfect form, nice and controlled and whatever weight is heavy for you. 4-5 sets 10-12 reps. give that a shot for a few weeks.

Crease of the hip below the knee.

Front squats I focus on sinking those deep.

From the ACE

The American Council on Exercise, the largest nonprofit organization to provide certification to personal trainers and group fitness instructors, answered the 90 degree question. Turns out this is a common one. "Any time we post squat exercises online, it leads to a debate about how low to go," says Todd Galati, M.A., the director of certification and continuing ed for the A.C.E. The reason 90 has become contentious is because when we squat beyond that angle, especially while bearing extra weight, we increase the forces placed on the knee. That doesn't mean that squatting low will necessarily cause an injury, Galati says, but it can exacerbate existing knee issues.

Despite that, Galati points out that our knees are biomechanically designed to bend past this angle. "When you squat, look in a mirror and you'll see that it's actually pretty hard to keep the tibia perpendicular to the floor." He backs up my trainer's recommendation for me to go lower than 90 when doing weighted squats, given that I wasn't new to this exercise, don't have knee pain, and was showing proper form. He then added an important piece of advice.

Instead of fixating on 90, Galati says that the magic number for body weight squats is actually four. In a proper squat, he says, the shape of our bodies should make the figure 4, with our back and lower leg tilted forward (legs parallel to each other), rear end over our heels, and feet shoulder-width apart. A video from the A.C.E. shows how to squat properly, and how to use your arms to ensure correct form. Google it.

This all comes with a caveat. "Those who are brand-new to squats should start by bending the knees 45 degrees from the upright starting position, and then gradually progress over time from quarter squats to full squats, assuming there's no knee pain or soreness," says Galati. As for those with existing knee problems, their best bet is to have their knees evaluated by a physician to see if physical therapy is needed, or if they can start an exercise program under the supervision of a personal trainer.

Back